Sunday 13 October 2013

Oh, look, it's almost November.

Anyone who's been a reader of my blog (or any of my other stuff, for that matter) for awhile is most likely aware that I am a veteran NaNoWriMo-er (or NaNoist, as I've started saying). For those of you who aren't familiar with it, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is, despite it's name, an international event where people all over the world decide that, in 30 days, they are going to write a novel of 50,000 words.



It's absolutely ludicrous. And I love it.

This year will be my seventh NaNo. It's also the first year that I'm not actually writing a novel, but am going to be thrashing out the story and ideas for a game I plan to make at some point in the new year. In one respect, I will have it a lot easier than I had in previous years, because I will be worrying less about following my plot and more about making sure my story ideas will translate well into game material. I'm really looking forward to it, if nothing because I'll be able to throw every idea onto the page and sort them all out later, and probably spend hours wasting time surfing the internet for "research purposes".

It's also a bit of a surprise to me that I'm doing NaNo at all this year. During the summer, I decided that I was going to walk away from NaNo for a couple years. I'm in a new full time job, studying third-year level courses to finish my uni degree, raising a family, and dealing with long term wrist issues. I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to have the time, let alone the energy, to write a novel as well.

Then October came around. I just finished my latest course, and am taking a break until at least the new year to start another. I've settled into my new job, and have my schedule more or less ironed out for awhile. My wrist seems to be, temporarily, dealing with itself. My family is as crazy as ever, but I wouldn't have it any other way. So, despite my earlier conviction that I couldn't, I am once again taking part in this crazy month of writing frenzy.

So, who's joining me? (The website is here. Seriously. Go sign up. Now. I'll wait.

... Have you done it yet?)

No comments:

Post a Comment